Wednesday, May 4, 2011

We Were Promised (an explanation) Jetpacks- Quiet Little Voices

I've thought about the setup of this blog. Should I put the video first? Let the people see and listen to it? Would they like to listen to it as they read the entry? Should I put the lyrics I'm going to use first and then the video both at the top? Just the lyrics at the top and save the video for last? Do I even need lyrics? You see, it goes on and on like this, and I'll save you from all the rest.

And there are those of you that don't even care much for the setup at all, but have been wondering from the outset, "Just what does he mean by 'Outside the Parentheses'?" Well, it's kind of like putting the lyrics and the video at the very beginning; if I had told you everything about this infinitesimally small piece of webspace and everything that goes into its making from post #1; would you even still be here? Well, maybe (hopefully).

So your explanation goes something like this--I had to write a paper and all the important, background information I wanted to give my reader wasn't necessarily important to the main thrust of the paper, but the reader needed to know about it in order to connect-the-dots to my conclusion. As a result, the connect-the-dots information went inside parentheses, normally at the end of sentences or wherever I could squeeze useful information in.

And I thought, isn't this perfect? So much of what we want to say in our daily interactions, when we clarify our off-hand comments, draw conclusions, and generally keep conversations moving with one another from Point A to Point B relies on facts that we assume (inside the parentheses) to get where we want to go. Outside the parentheses.

And then I thought, isn't this perfect? Here I am, doing something I've been doing forever. (I'm young again.)

The subject in We Were Promised Jetpacks 'Quiet Little Voices' lets us in on some of those inside the parentheses facts: (I'll fall for you...I'll die for you...I will run for you, I'll come for you). And even with that desire, the result is only a 'quiet little voice.'

It is quiet. It is strong. It is purposeful. You can hear it every time lead singer Adam Thompson's voice sings the chorus. Those voices, the actual words, are different for all of us. You know the desire in his voice; and maybe, just for a minute, you find yourself singing the chorus. You already know the words.

Put your headphones on for this song. Turn the volume up. Loud.

It will take you back to that place.
You will remember when you last used that 'quiet little voice.'

For me? (I'm young again.)
When I said things like, (I'll come for you.)
First. Instead of second.



No comments:

Post a Comment